There are small but extremely impactful lifestyle changes you can make starting today to dramatically reduce your risk of a stroke. https://t.co/OXBCnM5CA5
#StrokePrevention #StrokeRehabilitation #ElPasoStrokeRehab
Caring for a loved one with #CerebralPalsy (CP) comes with a unique set of challenges but these challenges provide opportunities to learn and grow. Learn how you can best support them: https://t.co/wlYPyohwCA
#RehabilitationServices #ElPasoRehabiliation #CongenitalDisability
Being proactive when it comes to your body's needs is the best thing you can do for yourself. One method of keeping your body in optimal condition is physical therapy. Learn more here: https://t.co/Ck06VZxgbG
Rehabilitation Medicine as a whole treat several diseases, injuries, and symptoms. The umbrella, the focus is broken down to include:
Neuromuscular Medicine From a Caring Team of Therapists
Neuromuscular medicine falls under the category of neurology and physical medicine and rehabilitation. Neuromuscular medicine involves the diagnosis and treatment of abnormalities in the peripheral nerves, neuromuscular junction, muscles, motor neurons, and other disorders.
What is Neuromuscular Medicine?
Approximately 1.5 million Americans are affected by neuromuscular disorders each year. Through various treatments, patients may receive the support they need to improve the symptoms associated with their condition. At Maranatha Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, we are proud to provide the El Paso community with comprehensive rehabilitation services that improve their ability to live more comfortably.
What is the Goal of Treatment?
Neuromuscular diseases (NMDs) are incurable but are not untreatable. With a combination of physical medicine and rehabilitation, NMDs can be treated. The goal of our treatments is to provide patients with:
- Improvement in overall health and functional capacities
- Preventative care
- Information on access to health-related information
- A better quality of life
What Does Treatment Look Like?
Neuromuscular treatment involves extensive testing and specialized care for various neuromuscular disorders. We provide unique rehabilitation treatments based on your specific needs. Our strategy is to apply the best practices that help alleviate your symptoms.
Common Conditions We Treat
At Maranatha Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, we treat the following conditions:
- Chronic pain: We can treat chronic pain in the peripheral nerves of the arms, legs, face, and neck.
- ALS-Lou Gehrig’s disease: Commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease, this disease affects the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.
- Muscular dystrophy: This disorder causes muscle weakness and may affect the ability to control muscles.
- Myasthenia gravis: Myasthenia gravis is a chronic autoimmune neuromuscular disease that affects the ability to control eye and eyelid movement, eat, control facial expressions, and causes trouble breathing.
What Can I Expect as a Patient?
As a patient, you can expect to receive quality care from our entire team. Our team is led by Dr. Lisa S. Barrett who provides evaluations, diagnosis, and recommendations. Our rehabilitation team includes:
- Physical therapists: Your dedicated therapist will evaluate your physical performance to determine what physical functions need to be addressed throughout your rehabilitation plan.
- Occupational therapists: An occupational therapist will evaluate your fine motor skills when it comes to performing everyday activities. This may include evaluating your ability to move your hands and arms. Activities will center around improving your mobility.